- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted, plus more for ramekins
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (8 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, torn
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 350. Butter four 10-ounce ramekins. Cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups cheddar, eggs, half-and-half, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add pasta, and stir to combine; divide among ramekins.
- In a food processor, pulse bread and melted butter until coarse crumbs form; season with salt and pepper. Dividing evenly, top pasta mixture with 1/2 cup cheddar, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until mac and cheese is golden and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.