- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), trimmed and peeled
- 3/4 cup mild oil, preferably sunflower-seed oil
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 cups) Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice
- 8 cups hot Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Cut squash lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds and fibers. Cut each half into 4 pieces. Using a knife or mandoline, slice squash pieces 1/8 inch thick. Set aside.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add squash, season with salt, and add enough water to cover. Cook, simmering, until squash easily breaks apart, about 20 minutes. Stir in rice, then add a cup of broth. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes, adding one cup of broth at a time, as necessary; the rice should almost completely absorb the broth between additions.
- Add cheese, stirring to incorporate, then continue cooking, adding broth as necessary, until rice is al dente and mixture moist but not watery, about 8 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in butter, and adjust the seasoning with salt, if necessary. Divide risotto between 6 serving plates, and drizzle with vinegar. Serve immediately.