Wednesday, November 23, 2011

~Tangerine Souffle~





  • Yield Makes 6 individual souffles



  • Ingredients

    • 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 7 oranges)
    • 1 1/2 cups sugar
    • 1 pound (about 3) tangerines, peeled, quartered, and seeded
    • 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
    • Unsalted butter, for ramekins
    • 6 large egg whites
    • Orange-Strawberry Sauce

    Directions

    1. In a medium saucepan, heat orange juice and 1 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add tangerines, and simmer, covered, until tangerines are very tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing gently to extract most of the juice, reserving both fruit and juice. In a food processor, combine tangerines and 1/2 cup tangerine juice. Puree until fairly rough, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Grand Marnier, and process to combine. The puree should just hold its shape without being sticky; if necessary, work in a little more juice. Transfer the puree to the saucepan.
    2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter six 8-ounce ramekins, chill them for 10 minutes in the freezer, and butter them again. Set on a baking sheet. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites with a tablespoon of sugar until the whites hold a stiff peak, 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, stirring with a spoon until whites are glossy and hold a long peak when the spoon is lifted, about 1 minute. Heat the tangerine puree until just simmering. Remove from heat, and add about 1/4 of the whites, stirring until well mixed. Add this mixture to the remaining whites, lightly folding to combine.
    3. Transfer souffle mixture to ramekins, filling to the rim and mounding generously in the center. Run your thumb around the edge of the mixture to make it rise evenly. Bake the souffles until puffed and brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Set the ramekins on small plates, preferably lined with a napkin to prevent slipping. Serve immediately with orange-strawberry sauce.

    Orange-Strawberry Sauce


    Martha Stewart Living Television
    • Yield Makes 4 cups

    Ingredients

    • 1 quart strawberries, cleaned and hulled
    • 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
    • 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar, plus more if necessary
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons tangerine juice

    Directions

    1. In a food processor, puree strawberries, Grand Marnier, sugar, and tangerine juice. Taste, adding more sugar, if desired. Chill before serving.

    It's a good thing...or is it?

    I love souffles.  Not necessarily for their taste but for their flair and elegance.  Souffles can teach us a few very important life lessons as well.  If done right the oven can be a window to the soul.  Read on to find out more.


    Souffles are an iconic French dessert.  As I reflect on this year of Living, it has occurred to me that there is a lot that can be learned from baking. A souffle exudes an elegance that can actually be applied to "real life".  For example, elegance is evident among women that finesse their ordinary rounds with balance, gusto and a little pizazz.  These women can pull off just about anything with a smile.  A puffed-up souffle is no different as it stands tall despite what could have been. As you can see, baking is a practical teacher as well as a spiritual guide that teaches lessons (soul-soothing 101: how to rise up in style as does a souffle).  Sign me up!

    Besides the obvious elegance-factor, there are a few important life lessons that are to be learned from these whipped-to-perfection desserts.  You see, souffles have overcome many variables in order to succeed.  Things like sketchy environmental factors and poorly whipped egg whites can stand in the way of a tall and proud souffle.  Yet when a souffle emerges hot from the oven, we are thankful for its beauty and we are relieved that it worked without collapsing.

    Did I mention that souffles are perfectionists?  Yes, souffles are very much so.  Loud noises, waiting too long for serving or jarring the ramekins will cause the soaring souffles to retreat to the bottom. So act fast.  When something is good make sure you enjoy without delay.  If you leave some things to chance and you do your best to perform the process correctly, well then, it rises!  I think my posture just got even better.  Now that's a lesson to be pondered. 



    Photo Gallery

    *I missed the Martha Bakes souffle episode that I promised myself that I'd watch. I'll have to catch it the next time that it comes on I guess.*


    As I was going through my stack of old recipes, I came across this particular recipe from an old print out.  When I was 18 I guess I wanted to attempt this tangerine souffle.  I've finally gotten around to it.



                                 The strawberries here were used for the sauce.  I'm glad that I had purchased two
    containers because tiny, very cute fingers kept appearing on the countertop.
    Before I knew it the strawberries had magically disappeared. 
    I'm getting ready to juice the 2/3 cup of orange juice by hand.  By the time that I had finished, the room smelled very citrusy.
    Almost done juicing.
    Now this is the good stuff!  From my experience with cooking so far, if a product says that it's from France, then you know it has to be good!  Grand Marnier you are a fine ingredient in this tangerine souffle.

    Here is the pot of tangerines with the orange juice before simmering for 30 minutes. 
    Voila.  After 30 minutes of simmering the tangerines and the orange juice are ready to be run through my chinoise.
    Straining the juice and the pulp.
    I wanted to follow Juila Child's method for making souffles.  That method requires a parchment paper collar that rises above the rim of the ramekin and then is secured with twine.  The parchment collar guides the rising souffle vertically so that the dessert results in a column-shaped souffle rather than overflowing, which would result in a mushroom shape.  This was my second experience with souffle making and so I wanted to achieve better results than my last attempt (with my chocolate souffle).  If we want different results then we must undergo a different process, right?
    Separating the egg yolks from the whites.
    The whipped egg whites. 
    The tangerine puree and 1/4  of the egg whites were mixed together.  Then the remaining egg whites were folded into the puree and added to the ramekins (not shown here). 
    The souffle collars were ready to be removed.  Time is of the essence when serving souffles so I quickly rounded up the family.


     *A special thanks to my tangerine souffle for the wonderful lesson that I learned on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon.*




    ~Just Dessert~

    2 comments:

    eclecicarl said...

    Le Souffle! So French, tres chic, so delicious, so ultra culinaire, so gourmande, so Morgan. Yes, Morgan, truly elegant. It helps when you have a bare, immaculate, solid copper mixing bowl and a huge balloon whisk, and a proper souffle dish (or small ones called ramekins). You indeed are becoming a Mistress of cuisine bourgoise, even of haute cuisine, when called for.

    The picture of the masterful final result is identical to that produced by a French chef. This is a textbook example. Magnifique!

    The Green Mama said...

    I'm glad that you enjoyed the post. I can't believe that I have a few weeks left before I'm finished here. It has most certainly been a bon voyage. Even so, there is much more to come!

    Most Fondly,

    Morgan

    There was an error in this gadget