Wednesday, November 30, 2011

~Spinach and Cheddar Strata~

picture from marthastewart.com


Everyday Food, May 2010
  • Prep Time 10 minutes
  • Total Time 30 minutes
  • Yield Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 10 ounces spinach
  • 3 cups day-old bread cubes (1 inch)
  • 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/4 cups grated sharp white cheddar (3 ounces)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander and drain, pressing with a rubber spatula to release as much liquid as possible. Divide bread and spinach among four small, shallow 8-ounce baking dishes.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and 3/4 cup cheese. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Divide mixture evenly among baking dishes and top with 1/2 cup cheese. Set dishes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until set in middle and golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
It's a good thing...or is it?

What the heck is a strata?  It sounded interesting so I gave it a whirl.  I'm a bit curious about this strata dish.  Hold on for a sec, let me check into this strata thing, okay? 

Ok, I'm back.  According toWikipedia, a strata is usually a breakfast dish that has layers of bread, cheese, vegetables and or meat layered inside.  The word strata refers to the layers. 

We are a family of egg lovers (except for me) and so how could we go wrong with such a dish that included things like eggs and cheese. Of course I came across the typical problem of having the children carefully, and very precisely, plucking the greens from the plate.  But, at least most of the dinner was well received. 

Photo Gallery

The recipe said to use 10 oz. of spinach.   Instead, I used what was growing in our garden which was an assortment of dark, leafy greens and some borage leaves.  Borage is a medicinal herb that is said to exhibit stress reducing properties, among other beneficial actions.  Interestingly, the flowers can be added to homemade cough syrups.  I had to throw in this information because one my interests includes harvesting, growing and using medicinal herbs.

Getting ready to cook.

Once the leaves had been wilted, I followed the directions for straining out the excess moisture while using my spatula and colander for drainage.

The borage and lettuce-mix cheddar strata before baking.

The strata of greens is covered by cheese, eggs and bread. 

Gabriel says that this is a thumbs up dish.  He takes his food very seriously.

~Dinner Was Served~




2 comments:

yinzerella said...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204449804577068862808127418.html?mod=WSJ_Magazine_LEFTSecondStories#project=WSJMagClock1211&articleTabs=interactive

Did you see this?

The Green Mama said...

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and was amazed! When I'm in my 70's I can only hope that I have that kind of energy and passion.

There was an error in this gadget