Tuesday, November 8, 2011

~Pantry Puttanesca~

The Martha Stewart Show
  • Yield Serves 2

Ingredients

  • Coarse salt
  • 1/2 pound penne pasta
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
  • 3 anchovies, rinsed (optional)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes with their juices
  • 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt boiling water and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and anchovies, if desired, mashing with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes and their juice, breaking up tomatoes with hands. Stir in capers, if desired, and olives. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add pasta to skillet and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine, and serve.

It's a good thing...or is it?


I'm facing day five of my detox with less energy than usual.  However, my clothes are fitting better and I've noticed a brighter face staring back at me in the mirror.  So, I guess my body is being purged of the typical caffeine, sugar and other fats that I typically consume.  Maybe this is worth the deprivation?

Anyway, last night I prepared a simple meal for the family, Pantry Puttanesca.  Everyone loved it! Now that's unusual to report. Jordan even had three plates and nobody complained.  I also found out that I have a bunch of olive-lovers that dine daily at my kitchen table.  With this new knowledge I might be able to sprinkle the olives in other foods to entice the little people to eat my veggie entrees. As Dr. Maya Angelou says, "When you know better, you do better." I believe that applies to food, too.



Photo Gallery

The recipe was doubled and was made without the capers and anchovies because I knew my dining guests very well. The capers might be OK but definitely not the anchovies.  I wanted them to stick around the table long enough for me to finish my chanterelle mushroom and kale salad. With anchovies present I would have been dining solo for sure.
The penne pasta was cooked in a large pot with a dash of oil and salt added to the water.
The whole tomatoes were broken up by hand.  I enjoyed squishing the tomatoes between my fingers as it was an excuse to have a little fun.
Once the garlic was cooked until fragrant, for about two minutes, it was added to the tomatoes in my sunshine yellow Le Creuset pot.   Next, the pitted and seeded kalamata olives were thrown into the sauce.   

I checked on the penne and by now it was al dente.  Perfect! After hitting the colander it was ready to land on the plate. 

This was really easy...I'm lovin' it!
After everything was mixed together, I felt that the puttanesa needed a little color so I added some basil.

Much better.
Delicious bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar is the perfect accompaniment for a pasta dinner. 
With his plate nearly cleared, Jordan went back for two more rounds. This recipe is a keeper! 


~Dinner Was Served~

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget