Monday, November 14, 2011

~Easy Eggs Florentine and a Salad by Alice Waters~

picture from marthastewart.com


Easy Eggs Florentine
Everyday Food, April 2008
  • Prep Time 25 minutes
  • Total Time 25 minutes
  • Yield Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 4 slices (1 inch thick) sourdough bread
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 pound baby spinach
  • 1/3 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
  • 4 large eggs

Directions

  1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place bread on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden, 1 to 3 minutes per side; set aside.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add scallions and as much spinach as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, tossing and adding more spinach as room becomes available, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; mix in goat cheese. Transfer to a bowl; cover to keep warm. Set aside.
  3. Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Gently crack eggs into skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, and remove from heat; let stand until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes.
  4. Top each piece of toast with spinach mixture and 1 egg; serve immediately.

Curly Endive, Persimmon and Apple Salad by Alice Waters

Martha Stewart Living Television
  • Yield Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, plus more if necessary
  • Splash of sherry vinegar
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 ripe Fuyu persimmons
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 small heads curly endive, tender inside leaves only, washed well and spun dry
  • 1 medium tart apple, quartered, cored, and very thinly sliced

Directions

  1. In a salad bowl, combine shallot, vinegars, and a pinch of salt.
  2. Peel and slice persimmons into 1/4-inch wedges. Whisk oil into shallot-and-vinegar mixture, and taste for acidity, adjusting as necessary. Add persimmon slices, lightly season with salt and pepper, and toss. Add endive and apples. Season with salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine. Adjust seasoning if necessary.



It's a good thing...or is it?

Today is cloudy.   The sky resembles that of some perfectly meringue-whipped pie with dark, curled edges and long wisps of creamy white clouds.  I like these kinds of days.

   Well, I've just wrapped up the week long detox.  This past week our meals have been simple and easy in order to accommodate my energy level.  Not sipping a cup of coffee, at least a few times a day, has really changed my ability to buzz around like a bee, as usual. Aha! Now that I think about it, bees are not health nuts afterall, for they are fueled by high calorie sugar.  They consume glucose.  I prefer caffeine.

Anyway, I chose to make Easy Eggs Florentine with a salad dish by Alice Waters for dinner because it seemed healthy and quick .  Being egg lovers, Gabriel, Sarah and Ben all enjoyed the meal. I on the other hand, am not particularly fond of eggs.  In fact, I have a "thing" about sunny side up eggs.  That said,  for dinner I enjoyed the persimmon salad and grilled bread. Tasty indeed! 

 Interestingly, the bread and the eggs were devoured as if they were a dessert item.  Not to my surprise the spinach was left on the plate. Their reaction to the spinach was similar to that of a child that was handed a  pair of socks for Christmas.  I tried the whole Popeye thing but I quickly realized that they had no idea who he was.  Since positivity is much more productive than pessimism I'm just thrilled that the dinner plate was greeted with a smile. 

.  


Photo Gallery

Recently, I've been reading bits and pieces of The Art of Eating by M.F.K Fisher.  When time permits, I open the book and read a little here and there.  Before making dinner, I briefly read "How to Rise Up Like New Bread." How could one not want to bake a batch of homemade bread when M.F.K. Fisher says, "It will smell better, and and taste better, than you remembered anything could possibly taste or smell, and it will make you feel, for a time at least, newborn into a better world than this one often seems."  Sounds divine, doesn't it?

The next few pictures are of my Wade's Giant corn.  This year we planted it later in the season and our crop wasn't nearly as big as last.  We still got some beautiful, jewel-studded ears that were used for decoration in my entryway.   

The Eggs Florentine

The recipe called for goat cheese but I left that out on purpose.  All of the ingredients for this meal fit on a single dinner plate! 
First, I brushed the sourdough with a good quality olive oil and then I placed the bread slices under the broiler for a few minutes.  I waited about a minute too long and so I was faced with huge plumes of smoke that blew from my oven.   Ooops.  That was a do-over. 
Next, the spinach and green onions were wilted in the skillet. 
"This is your brain on drugs" commerical was playing in my head as I watched the eggs cook.  For me, that anti-drug comerical will always be associated sunny side up eggs.
There you have it.  The toast was topped with the spinach and green onions.  Next, the egg was set on top of the spinach.  Even though this is typically a brunch item, breakfast for dinner rocks!

Curly Endive, Persimmon and Apple Salad


Here are the shallots, with the red wine vinegar and a splash of the sherry.
After the persimmons were plucked from our tree, I brought them inside where they were peeled and sliced.
The dressing was added to the fruit and then it was given a good toss.
Curly endive could not be found at my local grocery so I added romaine lettuce and a bit of frisee instead. The sliced apples were first slid across my mandoline and then sprinkled into the salad.
As you can see, the kiddos enjoyed their dinner.

~Dinner Was Served~


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget