- Yield Makes 1 1/2 pounds
- 7 to 8 pounds Long Island Cheese or sugar pumpkins, washed and stems removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkins in half crosswise; scoop out seeds and discard. Place pumpkin halves, flesh side down, on prepared baking sheets. Transfer to oven and roast until easily pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly.
- When pumpkins are cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh from skin; discard skin. Place pumpkin flesh in the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth.
- Place pumpkin puree in a mesh strainer set over a large bowl. Transfer strainer and bowl to refrigerator; let drain overnight. Discard liquid. Use pumpkin puree immediately, or store in an airtight container refrigerated, up to 2 days, or frozen up to one month.