*Happy to have our internet up and running again! The recent rainstorm disrupted our service. Guess that's what happens when you live out in the country. Hmmm...maybe we will look into a satellite connection?*
Directions can also be found online at http://www.marthastewart.com/
Tools and Materials
Sewing machine and sewing supplies
Baby Doll TemplateBoy Doll TemplateDad Doll TemplateGirl Doll TemplateMom Doll Template
Gingham Doll Family How-To
- Print desired doll template, and cut out.
- Fold fabric in half with right sides facing; press, and trace template onto fabric. Cut out for 2 layers.
- Allowing a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew almost all the way around the body. (Leave a 1-inch opening on the torso.)
- Turn doll right side out, using a chopstick for corners.
- Stuff with filling. (Use chopstick as needed to push stuffing into arms and legs.) Handstitch the side opening.
- Embroider facial features: A few back stitches create eyes and a mouth.
- Make the hair. For ponytails and braids, cut 20 to 30 strands of yarn about 12 inches long. Drape sideways over head of doll, and sew at center (or slightly off center) to create a part. To leave hair long, stitch onto doll across the back of the head. For ponytails, clasp sides, and secure with a piece of yarn; stitch onto the head at that point. For pigtails, braid the ponytails, and secure ends with another piece of yarn. For short hair, embroider all over the head using small back stitches.