Wednesday, October 5, 2011

~A Batty Entrance~

Halloween decorating has begun, costumes have been selected (including our pugs), attending a Halloween party in LA, and festive goodies are on their way.  October is super-busy and we haven't even hit November or December.  I really can't complain because I'd rather be busy than bored outta my mind.

When it comes to celebrations, I'm a firm believer in a decorated doorway.  It sets the stage for the rest of the house and it typically gets used numerous times throughout the day. Starting with the entrance is where I always begin.  Don't they say that about people, too?  It's all about the entrance or first impression, right?

I actually just made it back from Michaels a few minutes ago where I did some craft investigating.  Ben did the bedtime routine with the kids so that I could enjoy myself for a bit in one of my favorite stores, Michaels.  Because I have a bake sale coming up in less than two weeks, I'm in need of baking supplies such as cupcake tins, candy stix, candy bags etc. I used this as an excuse to get me to the craft store.

Once I arrived, I headed for a very special section.  Can you guess?  Yup, that's right, the Martha Stewart section.  It was about 7:30 pm, and by this time only one other lady (and her daughter) were in that isle.  I was happy to have the entire isle to myself so that I could easily look at everything.

I saw the lady eyeing the boxed craft classes, mesmerized and unsure about the products.  I could tell from how she tapped the box and tilting her head that she was confused.  I felt slightly obligated to speak up at this point.  "That's such a great craft project", I said somewhat timidly.  "Oh, really?  I'm not sure what I'm really getting here," she said in a funny way.  At this point she noticed my notebook and pen.  From her squinting glance you could tell that she was trying to figure out if I was a salesperson or a real shopper.  "Yeah, great buy," I said as If I didn't care too much about the subject.  I didn't want to seem like some strange craft-stalker. "The price is twenty dollars," she said neutrally to feel me out.  I quickly added, "yes, but you get four cards and the glitter is not even half used up by the time that you're finished with the cards." Realizing that she seemed interested, I went on to tell her about Martha's cute glittered shoes idea.  I told her that I used the glitter on both the cards and the shoes and that I still had glitter left for more projects.

Her daughter reminded her mother not to talk to strangers at this point.  The mother quickly told her daughter that it was OK for mommies to speak to strangers, just not kids.  I was left standing next to them thinking to myself at this point that the Wilton section might be a good choice.

Oh no, it wasn't that easy.  The little girl was about five and was very engaging.  She told me all about her recent trip to Disneyland, her flight and how she felt very ill on the way down to LA.  And then more and more stuff.  I looked at her mother and noticed that she was shopping, kid-free so to speak as her daughter used me a sounding board.

Oh no, honey.  You don't get off that easy, I have three of these munchkins at home.  This is my "me" time. "Well, thanks for chatting with me.  I'm glad you liked Disneyland.  It was nice talking with you, goodbye."  I turned on my heels and flew out of that isle. 

I was very happy with my $12 bat collection (even cheaper with a coupon).  Do check out the numerous Martha Stewart Halloween decor because the prices are reasonable the quality is superb.  But of course you already knew that, right?  Martha never puts her name on anything but the best.  I don't have time to mess around with junk with my busy life, and neither do you.

Photo Gallery

Here are the Martha Stewart bats and cave (on the top of the mirror).  It came with a second cave but I couldn't get it to stick to the top of the door.  I think electrical tape will do the trick, now that I think about it. 

Note: The candles are lit when the kids are in bed for safety reasons.

The hanging lanterns and the haunted house on the right are from The Dollar Tree-another wonderful store for the frugal shopper. Minus the candles, the decorated entrance cost me about $15.

~A Bat-i-ful and Affordable Entrance~


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget