Wednesday, September 28, 2011

~Twinkle Toes~



I'm so happy to have yet another use for the fabulous Martha Stewart glitter.  Monday was Martha's season premier of her show and she demonstrated how to make glittered shoes.  Isn't that great? 

This craft was easy enough for my two year old daughter Sarah to do with some help.  The time investment was minimal; the return was big.  Scuffed shoes, boring old shoes (snore,snore,snore), or even new shoes can be bedazzled with beautiful glitter or even rhinestones. 

Some people think that everything is better with a little Windex. Not me, I go for the glitter.




Directions from http://www.marthastewart.com/

Trendy glittered sneakers can be yours without breaking the bank -- make your own with this how-to from designer and blogger Erica Chan Coffman.

Tools and Materials

  • Masking tape
  • Mod Podge
  • Glitter
  • Craft stick
  • Fine art paintbrushes
  • Craft knife (optional)
  • Gemstone embellishments
  • E-6000 multipurpose adhesive
  • Metallic silver Sharpie marker

Glittered Sneakers How-To

  1. With masking tape, mask edges of each shoe, being sure to cover the rubber soles as well as the toe area.
  2. To create glitter mixture, add one part glitter to two parts mod podge and mix thoroughly with a craft stick.
  3. With a fine art brush, paint a layer of glitter mixture onto each shoe and let dry 10-15 minutes.
  4. Paint on additional coats of glitter mixture until each shoe is completely covered and no white space is showing. Let dry completely.
  5. Once dry, remove all tape and use a craft knife or the edge of your fingernail to scrape dried glitter from grommets and soles.
  6. Use E-6000 adhesive to adhere gemstone embellishments to toe area.
  7. To finish shoes, use a metallic silver Sharpie marker to color in the grommets and then lace them up.

Resources

Coarse glitter in Rose Quartz and Florentine Gold and Basic Brush Set, Martha Stewart Crafts. Mod Podge, Plaid or most crafts-supply stores. Gemstone embellishments, M&J Trimming. E-6000 multipurpose adhesive, most crafts-supply and hardware stores. Plain canvas sneakers available from Vans.



Photo Gallery

We looked around the house for some shoes in need of glitterizing.   We found an old hand-me-down pair of Tevas from Sarah's closet.  After seeing how beautiful Sarah's shoes were with the glitter, I decided to glitter an old pair of American Eagle flat for me. 

Sarah did a great job at applying the Mod Podge to her shoes.
We did three, alternating coats of glitter and Mod Podge. The final coat was just the glitter on top without the Mod Podge finish.  When we coated the glitter with the Mod Podge, I found that it slightly dulled the sparkle.  To keep the shoes extra sparkly we finished with a coat of glitter. 

After they dried, I carefully shook off the excess glitter and then re-used some of it for the following layer. Shown below is just one coat of glitter.  We used the Martha Stewart tinsel glitter in turquoise for Sarah's shoes.
I dug out my old, dirty pair of shoes that were clearly in need of some TLC.  I wiped them down with a damp cloth and once they were dry, I followed the same procedure that was applied to Sarah's Tevas for my shoes. I added the onyx colored glitter to the bows of my shoes.
Twinkle toes!
This was a great project for Sarah and I to do together.  We were able to use the left over glitter from the Martha Stewart Crafts Class project (see September blog) for our shoes.   Actually, we still have plenty of glitter for future projects. I have my eye on a pair of Sarah's slip-on Vans and I can't wait to get some pink glitter on those.

~Get Crafty~






No comments:

There was an error in this gadget