Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Zucchini Fritters




This picture captures a typical beautiful morning at Paradise Basin.  Just thought I'd share it with you all; my favorite- awesome foodie friends! :)


Recipe from Martha Stewart Living page 55 issue August 2011


2 medium zucchini (8 oz. each),trimmed
1 medium onion
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (1 oz) *I eliminated this and didn't miss the cheese*
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1.2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
coarse salt and pepper
2 large eggs,lightly beaten
extra-virgin olive oil,for frying
plain yogurt and apricot jam,for serving


1.  Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater,then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel or press in a ricer.  Repeat with onion. 

2.  Mix together zucchini,onion,flour, and herbs.  Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Stir in eggs just before frying.

3.  Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Working in batches, coat skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil.  Scoop mounds ( 2 tablespoons each) of the zucchini mixture into skillet; flatten slightly using a spatula.  Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

4.  Transfer fritters to paper-towel-lined plates to drain.  Serve with dollops of plain yogurt and apricot jam. 


I told you that I was on a zucchini roll, didn't I?  And guess what I have planned for the next blog, huh?  Zucchini bread!  Our zucchini plants are beginning to slow a little in their production plant-like ability to produce long, green globs (tasty as ever) from their vines.  The other morning when I was outside listening to the neighbors hens lay their morning eggs and the rooster greeting his day, I began to smell fall.  The ever so slight crispness of the morning air, the slightly sweet yet dry smell of grass and of course the Canadian Geese gave the encroachment of fall away.  It's not fooling me!

Fall is my favorite time of year and so I'm looking for every clue as to the arrival of this glorious time of year.  Out with the old, in with the new, settle in for a hot cider and curl up with a good book kind of weather. I do enjoy summer as it brings with it a bounty of freshness, but there is nothing like watching the leaves fall from a tie-dyed maple on a cool evening. Until then, I hope you enjoy frying up some of these fritters as we settle into late summer because they are really,really good! 

Photo Gallery

Here is the lucky zucchini that got promoted to fritter.  It was an over-sized squash and these guys are better off in things like fritters or bread.  The larger zucchinis tend to get pithy (they contain a lot of seeds and get a little tough).

 I shredded about half of the large zucchini for the fritters.
Sarah says, "all clean, seeee!"
Once the zucchini was grated, the spices, flour and egg get mixed together-it's that simple!
The recipe suggests using an apricot jam with a plain yogurt.  So I thought, why not just use an apricot yogurt?  I'm a recent lactose intolerant (isn't that just terrible?!!) therefore I'm choosing more vegan options like the soy yogurt pictured below.  Vegan choices for dairy products have yet to disappoint me-except for a few vegan cheeses that is.  However, when I bake...fuhgetit! I will tough it out until my chef friend Andrea invents more ideas to make them taste good ;)
The fritters are frying.
Well, I made the first batch "extra crispy".  Keep a close eye on the first batch because for some reasn they always tend to get a little over cooked-still good though.  The onions in the fritter added a wonderful flavor to the meal.  I guess you could call them the healthier hash brown since they had a similar flavor and texture. 
 I served the dinner with some of our corn that we grow, along with some wild rice.
~Dinner Was Served~



1 comment:

Carl said...

The fritterth look tho good but I had no idea that large zucchinith are tho pithy. How can you thtand the tatht?

There was an error in this gadget