Thursday, August 4, 2011

~Frozen Rainbow Chiffon Cake in Honor of America's Domestic Diva!~

Recipe from Martha Stewart Living August 2011 page 150

1 1/2 cups blackberries (6oz)
1 1/4 cups blueberries (6 oz)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 4 to 5 lemons)
10 large egg whites, room temperature
salt
2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
2 ripe papayas,peeled and seeded
3 kiwifruits,peeled
1 cup strawberries (6 oz) hulled
1 1/4 cups raspberries (6 oz)
1 can (15 oz) apricots in juice, drained
Seven-Minute Frosting (recipe follows)

1.  Coat two 8-inch springform pans with cooking spray.  Line sides with parchment, leaving a 2-inch collar extending over top.

2.  Puree blackberries,blueberries and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth.  Strain through a fine sieve; discard solids.

3.  Whisk 2 egg whites and a pinch of salt with a mixer on medium speed until foamy.  Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar with 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Cook until syrup reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer.  Immediately add sugar syrup in a slow, steady stream down the side of the bowl.  Raise speed to high, and whisk until thick, shiny and cooled, about 7 minutes.  Whisk in berry puree.  Pour mixture into 1 pan, and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

4.  Meanwhile, puree papayas and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth.  Strain.

5.  Repeat step 3 with 2 egg whites, a pinch of salt, 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 tablespoons water, whisking in papaya puree.  Pour mixture into remaining pan, and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. 

6.  Puree kiwifruits and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth.  Strain.

7.  Repeat step 3 but then pour kiwifruit puree mixture onto frozen berry layer, and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. 

8.  Meanwhile, puree strawberries, raspberries, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Strain.

9.  Repeat step 3  but then pour strawberry-raspberry puree onto frozen papaya layer, and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

10.  Puree apricots and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth.  Strain.

11.  Repeat step 3 but then pour apricot puree onto frozen kiwi layer, and freeze until firm, about two hours. 

12.  Release sides of pans; carefully transfer papaya and strawberry-raspberry layer cake onto apricot layer.  Freeze cake while you make the frosting.

13.  Remove parchment paper.  Frost top and sides of cake.  Freeze until ready to serve.

Food-Safety Note The egg whites in this cake are not fully cooked.

Make Ahead Fruit Purees can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Storage Frosted cake can be frozen overnight.


Seven-Minute Frosting

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
3 large egg whites, room temperature

1.  Bring 1/2 cup sugar, the water, and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Continue to cook, without stirring,washing down sides of pan with a set pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming, until mixture reaches 230 degrees on a candy thermometer.

2.  Meanwhile, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gradually whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.  Immediately add sugar syrup in a slow,steady stream down the side of the bowl once it reaches 230.  Raise speed to high, and whisk until mixture is thick,shiny, and cooled, about 7 minutes.  Use immediately.

Food-Safety Note The egg whites in this frosting are not fully cooked.




Yesterday was Martha Stewart's 70th birthday!  Since our family is dedicating this year to "living like Martha" it made sense for us to bake a cake for such an occasion.   When I'm not cooking from Martha-recipes, I enjoy cooking from my vintage cookbooks and pamphlets (from the 1960s-1920s).  This bygone era intrigues me because it not only honored good food, but the housewives had a certain spark to them that remains unique to that time period, like a good chiffon cake, for example.  

These homemakers dedicated their daily "have tos" into a coveted art form and it is these women that were coined, Domestic Divas.  At the present moment, Martha Stewart is (and will most likely always be) an Icon of Domestics.  To me (and to many other Martha fans) Martha is like a main course whereas the housewives of yesteryear were similar to an appetizer, foreshadowing what was to come.  I am thankful for the superb quality that is constantly emerging from Martha Stewart Living.  For a mother of three that is relatively new to homekeeping, I am grateful!

Anyway, I decided to bake the frozen rainbow chiffon cake from the August 2011 Martha Stewart Living magazine page 88.  The article called, "Baking a Comeback" was written about vintage baking pamphlets and I happen to be an avid collector of these pamphlets myself.  You see, collectors like me almost never start out with intent.  Somewhere down the road we see something cute, adorable,catchy or whatever, and we buy it.  The next time that we're out, here we go again.  We see it once more. I swear that somehow it magically finds us! And then,there you have it...a whole collection.  Some of you know what I'm talking about all too well.

I've included my current collection of these vintage baking and cooking pamphlets (and a book or two as well) that I have at the moment...but come next weekend I'm sure more will find me.  Happy Baking!




Photo Gallery


Here are some pictures of my vintage baking and cooking pamphlets.

I love the detailed artwork and descriptions of the food!


This cookbook is from 1930.


And a few more pamphlets.


I wanted to show you what was inside some of these pamphlets...check it out!


This pamphlet is from Woman's World Magazine from 1928.


These are in near mint condition and are among my favorite pamphlets that I own.


And more yummy chocolate!


This book contains phosphate drink recipes.  The only place that I can get such a drink is from our local old-time drugstore soda fountain shop (in Loomis, Ca.).


This is an aside, but it's still interesting. Shown here is an emergency pamphlet from 1958 that states what should be done in case of an atomic bomb emergency.  Included in this pamphlet is how one should both clean up and protect themselves against such disasters.


This cookbook is a great resource too.


The Nature Cure Cook Book is wonderful!  Written in 1918 by Dr. Henry Lindlahr and Mrs. Anna Lindlahr, this book discusses eating a pesticide free, whole wheat diet that is low in fat.  The benefits of eating a mostly vegetarian diet are also discussed in great detail within this book.  Well, this wraps up my collection.  For now anyway.



The chiffon

I was very happy to know that the rainbow layers were made from real fruit purees!  Here I am mixing in
the papaya fruit puree.

Shown below are two of the five layers.  Here is the kiwi puree layer.


The strawberry-raspberry puree.  With a little 60's flair and with a pinch of luck, this cake turned out to be really boss. 


Fast forward many hours later and here you go, the finished cake!  It looks like a hat, or some sort of strange 1950's bouffant beehive hairdo.  For doing this recipe I'd probably be fired from the Domestic Diva group.  Oh well.  This frozen cake kept melting everywhere and a few times I felt like feeding this to Franklin our guinea pig (when I was sweating in the hot kitchen).


The frozen rainbow chiffon cake...the alien cake from outer space.  Somehow layers four and five slipped into oblivion. 


Jordan liked it!


Gabriel seemed pleased too. As for Sarah, she ate it up!



We couldn't end our day without a special homemade birthday card to a very special person, Ms. Martha Stewart.  Jordan is shown here working very hard on the card.


This is a cute picture, except you can't read the sign.  Jordan even drew the torch that he used for making creme brulee and for the baked Alaskas. 


From all of us....Happy Birthday Martha.  Thank you!


~Just Dessert~

5 comments:

yinzerella said...

Any chance that you might have the original Jell-O recipe for rainbow chiffon cake there in your vintage pamphlets?
I want to make this cake, but want to do the original version, not Martha's/
Excellent, job, however.

The Green Mama said...

Dear Yinzerella,

I searched high and low for a Jell-O recipe but could not find one in my collection. However, I did find a chiffon recipe that sounded good, but it does not use Jell-O. It's a lemon chiffon pie. Let me know if it sounds interesting and I would be more than happy to post it for you. I also have a pamphlet that has several delicious frozen, gelatin desserts too.

I did come across a website that posted something similar to what you might be looking for? I hope this helps!

http://www.uzoj.com/en/recipes/jello/fruit-jell-o-chiffon-cake-17849.html

Hope to hear from you soon!

~Morgan~

Anonymous said...

I am enthralled with your vintage cookbook pamphlet collection! I have a very small one that does not hold a candle to yours. I am especially intrigued by the Nature Cure Cookbook. The German's Chocolate one looks neat too, and since you have that it probably has the original recipe for German's Chocolate Cake (does it? That would be soooo cool!).

You have reignited my desire to pamphlet hunt!

Andrea

P.S.

Your cake is B-U-tiful!

The Green Mama said...

Dear Andrea,

Thanks! I would be more than happy to share any of my pamphlets with you. The Nature Cure Cookbook is really great. Even back in 1918 the health food movement was alive and well. The book is a great read and is very amusing.

I checked my entire collection for a German's Chocolate Cake recipe and could not find one. I did find a recipe for Devil's Food Cake that is from 1913. If you'd like, I can post it for you.

I have yet to connect with another person that collects such items. We will have to compare pamphlets and do a recipe swap! Thanks for the cake complement. I was just glad to be finished!



~Morgan

yinzerella said...

I made the chiffon cake.
I don't know if you saw it or not.

http://yinzerella.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/9-lentil-soup/

Thanks again for your help.

There was an error in this gadget