Tuesday, August 9, 2011

~Fried Green Tomatoes~





picture from marthastewart.com


Recipe from marthastewart.com



  • Prep Time 20 minutes


  • Total Time 20 minutes


  • Yield Serves 4



  • Ingredients

    • 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
    • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    • Coarse salt and ground pepper
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 2 large eggs, beaten
    • 1/2 cup cornmeal
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
    • 2 medium green tomatoes (both ends sliced off), each cut crosswise into 4 slices
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower

    Directions

    1. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and set sauce aside.
    2. Place flour, eggs, and cornmeal each in a separate bowl, and season each with 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning.
    3. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Working with a few slices at a time, dip tomatoes in flour, then eggs, and finally cornmeal.
    4. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Working in two batches, fry tomatoes until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately with sauce.
    Okay, I'll admit it.  I'm a country girl (albeit a recent one) that has lived on a farm for several years now without making fried green tomatoes!  Even more strange to some people is that I've just recently watched the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.  I know, I know.  One of my favorite lines from the movie is from Ninny Threadgoode,  "I found out that the secret to life is: friends.  Best friends."  I would have to agree.After watching this very touching movie, I felt inspired to get outside and start pulling off the green tomatoes and begin firing up my skillet. 


    As far as our growing season in Northern California this year, it has been strange again.  What is this third year now?  Anyway, all of our tomato plants (we have about 60 plants) are doing very well except for the fact that we STILL have giant tomatoes hanging from the vine like an NBA player hanging from the hoop.  Down and back each row I go hunting and pecking for that ripe tomato.  At the end of each search I'm left empty handed.  Since a farmgirl's attitude is one of gratitude I thought that green tomatoes would be perfect for dinner.  Even though our heirloom 'maters aren't showing off their spectacular shades, they can be used for something, right? After all, green means go!

    Photo Gallery

    I wanted to show you this wonderful present that was waiting for us in our kitchen window on a recent morning.  The morning sun was celebrating right inside our kitchen window!  What a gift!
    Here is one of our many,many green tomatoes.
    The ingredients.
    You can tell that this is my first time making these.  Do not mix the eggs, flour and cornmeal together!  Place each ingredient into three separate bowls.  Ooops.  Start over!
    Okay, I fixed everything. Ready to try again. First I dipped the tomato into the flour, then the egg mixture and then...
    right into the cornmeal to create a nice crunchy texture.  I tried making a few without the cornmeal and they just weren't the same.
    The green tomatoes are frying.
    The Fried Green Tomatoes are ready.  They were so good!  When the tomatoes are fried, the sour flavor gets cooked out and they are transformed into a delicious, meaty dinner.  The sauce was excellent too.  I used Veganaise brand mayo instead of the regular mayonnaise.  This is a must try for those of you that are STILL awaiting your precious, vine-ripened tomatoes.  Enjoy!
     


    ~Dinner Was Served~

    No comments:

    There was an error in this gadget