Wednesday, July 13, 2011

~Spanish Tortilla with Bell Pepper~

picture from marthastewart.com

Recipe from marthastewart.com


  • Prep Time 15 minutes




  • Total Time 45 minutes




  • Yield Serves 4



  • Ingredients

    • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving
    • 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced inch thick
    • 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
    • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
    • Coarse salt and ground pepper
    • 8 large eggs
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
    • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add potatoes, bell pepper, and onion; season with salt and pepper (skillet will be very full). Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Uncover, and cook off excess liquid, 1 to 2 minutes.
    2. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet, and stir to distribute evenly. With the back of a spatula, press down on vegetables so they lay flat and are submerged.
    3. Bake until tortilla is set, 12 to 16 minutes. To unmold, run a rubber spatula around edge of skillet to release tortilla; invert onto a serving plate. Drizzle tortilla with oil; garnish with parsley.

    Cook's Note

    Use a large piece of eggshell to remove any bits of shell that may have fallen into the bowl when cracking the eggs.




    This is a recommended dinner if you just want to mix things up without investing too much time or money.  I am partial to dinners that finish in the oven because it gives me more time to clean up while we wait (an added bonus for busy moms). 

    Photo Gallery

    Here are the simple and beautiful ingredients.  In my early twenties I finally figured out how essential it is to get everything prepped BEFORE cooking.  The French refer to this as mis en place (everything in its place).  Speaking of French things, happy Bastille Day to my French readers!  It's actually tomorrow but with the time difference I think I'm accurate.  I would love to see the Champs-Elysees all decked out for the holiday. Peut ĂȘtre un jour (maybe one day)?
    I tossed in the potatoes, red bell peppers and onions as stated in the recipe.  However, I did not use a non stick skillet...a minor problem later on.  I did make sure to use extra oil to compensate for this.  More importantly, it was beginning to smell really good in the kitchen!
    The kids were going crazy and needed some direction.  So I got them involved in the dinner process for everyone's sake.  Gabriel is being funny and Sarah is watching her brother's every move.
    I showed Gabriel how to grate the potatoes.  We talked about safety and he was very careful while using the grater.  His face was priceless when he figured out how to use the grater properly.  These potatoes were even more special to him because they were grown by his dad.  I could see that he had a "light bulb moment" once he figured out how to grate the potatoes and from then on he was in his own world.
    Next, we talked about a ricer.  This was used for our hash brown side dish in order to remove the extra water from the potatoes.  Gabriel thought that it was a pretty cool contraption.
    Voila!  Two pounds of home-grown potatoes are ready to be made into hash browns.
    Now we are back to the Spanish tortilla.  I'm adding hot sauce (I like it extra spicy) and I'm getting ready to whisk the eggs and parsley.
    Now that the potatoes and peppers are cooked, all that has to be done is a little
    pouring and mixing.
     
    This is what it looks like before baking.
    I feel like I'm sending a kid off to school or something.  Bye-Bye tortilla, see you in fifteen minutes.
    And here it is.  I was very nervous about turning this thing upside down.  Anytime that I have to dump something out I get freaked out.  Remember, I didn't use a non stick skillet either so I was uncertain whether or not it would stick.
    It worked.  A little bit did stick to the pan, but overall it came out smoothly.  The directions tell you to use  a rubber spatula to release the sides and don't forget to do that.  It's a must!   
    Well, I guess the tortilla has too much color to it (an automatic turn off for Gabe).  At least he ate the hash browns. 
    Sarah was not moving from the floor and she did not want to go the table for dinner.  Both kids were obviously in need of a change of scenery at this point.  Being a mom is not an easy job and sometimes it takes having to do something random to make things better.  So, I gave them a bath.  After that we decided to give dinner another try. 
    She's a happy girl!  Most girls feel revived after a nice, long soak.  Dinner looked so much better now that she was in the right mood.


    ~Dinner Was Served~

    No comments:

    There was an error in this gadget