Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Skin Brightening Mask

picture from marthastewart.com

 What's Playing?  "Darling Lorrane" by The Knockouts

This brightening mask exfoliates and stimulates circulation in the face, resulting in a warm, rosy glow.
Here's why it works: Unripe papaya contains natural alpha-hydroxy acids and high levels of papain, an enzyme that helps dissolve dead skin cells. Yogurt adds lactic acid (another alpha-hydroxy) and gives the mask a creamy texture, and honey helps skin retain moisture. When left on, the mask should tingle slightly; if you have sensitive skin or prefer a gentler exfoliation, use ripe papaya, which has less papain.
Green-Papaya Brightening Mask1/2 cup unripe papaya, diced
1 teaspoon plain yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
Blend ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Apply to clean skin using fingers; leave on for 8 to 10 minutes. Rinse off using cool water and pat dry. Finish by applying a gentle moisturizer.
If you're short on time, try a ready-made mask that uses the same active ingredient, papain. Options include: Zia Fresh Papaya Enzyme Mask; Alba Hawaiian Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask; Sensuous Beauty Green Papaya Masque.
Text by Donna Ress; photograph by David Meredith


I've made many, many different facial masks over a span of about fifteen or so years.  My dad was my original "guinea pig".  As a teen, we'd have girls night at my house and sometimes we'd decide to make our own blends of facial masks and paint our nails (and gossip about boys,etc.).  I'm sure my dad still remembers me slathering a homemade oatmeal mask on his face; he was always so eager to try anything that I made which is one reason why I think I have the confidence to experiment with food and crafts now that I'm older.

With all those DIY spa years behind me, I was curious to try this facial mask that included fresh papaya.  After trying this I've become a huge fan.  This facial mask recipe is my absolute favorite so far.  I had Ben try it out too.  He agrees that this is an awesome recipe.  This skin brightening recipe will get you results after the first application. YAY! The only problem is now I have to share my papayas with Ben ;)

The very best part about this recipe is that it is made from natural ingredients and it's very cheap and simple to make.  I'm serious when I say that these results cannot be purchased over the counter- at least I haven't come across anything like this before.  Who would have thought that papaya, yogurt and some honey could really get your face looking this good? 


Photo Gallery


Here is the papaya.  I have never,ever purchased a papaya before so this was fun!
Ooohhh!  Check out the star in the center of the papaya-pretty cool.
Here is the yogurt that we used for the mask.
This is honey from our bees awhile ago.  Some of the honey was a little too dark to eat so we saved it for facial masks and to help heal wounds and scrapes.  It was put to good use today.
Before we cut into the papaya, Sarah wanted to have just one more look.  She was fascinated with the shape and colors of the fruit.
It's that easy!  Just add everything to the food processor and apply to your face.  Kick your feet up and relax with a nice,cool drink while your skin changes in a matter of 8-10 minutes.  Sound good?  I agree!  So when are we having another girls night?  A note to Dad- I have a jar set aside just for you.  I'm sure you're thrilled ;)
 

~It's a good thing!~

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget