Friday, June 17, 2011

~Spiked Italian Ice~

picture from marthastewart.com


Mojito Italian Ice recipe from marthastewart.com or from June 2011 Martha Stewart Living Magazine



  • Prep Time 20 minutes







  • Total Time 5 hours 20 minutes







  • Yield Makes 2 dozen





  • Ingredients

    • 1/2 tablespoon finely grated lime zest, plus 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice (from 9 limes)
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 1/2 cups sugar
    • 1 cup chopped fresh mint
    • 1/4 cup light rum
    • Mint sprigs, for garnish

    Directions

    1. Puree lime zest and juice, water, sugar, and mint in a blender. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Stir in rum. Divide among twelve 3-ounce paper cups (nycake.com). Freeze on a rimmed baking sheet for at least 5 hours. Garnish with mint sprigs.
         Strawberry Daiquiri Italian Ice recipe from marthastewart.com or from June 2011 Martha Stewart living



  • Prep Time 10 minutes







  • Total Time 5 hours 10 minutes







  • Yield Makes 14





  • Ingredients

    • 1 pound strawberries (4 cups), rinsed and hulled
    • 2/3 cup light rum
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
    • Pinch of coarse salt
    • Garnish: strawberries

    Directions

    1. Puree strawberries, rum, water, sugar, lime juice, and salt in a blender until smooth. Divide among 14 3-ounce paper cups (nycake.com). Freeze on a rimmed baking sheet for at least 5 hours. Garnish with strawberries.

    The weather has been warm, the labor heavy on the farm and our spirits have been bright and cheery, especially as we truck in our baskets full of greens.  Spending lengthy time outdoors requires one to replenish the body with plenty of water, or with some spiked Italian ices!  I'm usually good with ice water or something like.  However, I decided to elevate the usual beverage into something more specular for summer sipping.

    I promise that you won't be disappointed by the drinks featured on the cover of this months Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  They are delicious!  These mojitos are just as good as the mojitos that I had enjoyed with some close friends at L'Ermitage in Beverly Hills years ago.  In fact, that was the first time that I had ever tasted a mojito.  Since I'm growing so many herbs, mint included, these drinks are definitely going to be added to my list of specialty drinks that are what I consider to be the creme de la creme.  Enjoy!



    Photo Gallery

    These are the simple ingredients for the daiquiri. 
    I didn't have the recommended paper cups that was mentioned in the magazine.  So, I poured the mix into ramekins instead.
    I had a little left over and so hey, why not?  I poured myself a glass too.
    Moving along to the the mojitos.  I'm pouring the sugar into the blender that contains the lime juice.
    In goes the mint, blend and freeze.  It's that easy.
    The spiked Italian ices are ready for serving.  I had some terra cotta pots (they are reusable cupcake holders) in my baking cabinet that I thought would work well for serving the drinks.  Who needs paper cups anyway?!  These cups are reusable and work just as well.

    ~It's never too early for a good drink...or is it?~
    

    6 comments:

    Carl said...

    Morgan, this is one of your better blog posts, if not the best. Your paella was just excellent, but a bit cooled off being served outside with that slight breeze. I savored every bite.

    I will share with your readers what I have learned about the Valencian Spanish fishermen that evolved this seafood medley, paella de marisco, version of paella (pie-ay-uh, a Spanish "pizza" using white rice instead of a dough crust beneath the ingredients. The fishing boats are pulled up onto the beach and the seafood is immediately loaded onto carts and taken to market. The tired fishermen are usually famished and so their families meet them on the beach to make a paella dinner. Wood is brought to the beach along with steel paella pans, rice, saffron, olive oil, salt, other herbs and spices, wine, and chilled drinks. Over the coals, the assembled ingredients are added after the rice is started. If one boat does not have shellfish, they often trade for finned fish, and the reverse as well. Possibly someone has a guitar and knows how to play it.

    We might see this as a wonderfully romantic scene, but to the fishermen and their families, it is just another day after work, enjoyable as it might be.

    The other two paella dishes are also from Valencia: Valencian Paella (Paella Valenciana): white rice, green vegetables,meat(rabbit, chicken or duck),land snails,beans, saffron other herbs and seasonings.

    Mixed paella (paella mixta, like pizza, can include anything: meat, seafood, vegetables,and beans over calasparra or bomba rice. Saffron is used here as well. Sounds good to me!

    The above was plagiarized from Wikipedia. Thank you very much W. My version is a bit longer: en la boca cerrada no entran moscas (in a closed mouth no flies enter).

    Carl said...

    Sorry Morgan's readers, but the above was wrongly posted here, it belongs to the blog above, not here, from whence it came (copy/pasted it to the above). Oh well.

    By the way, I have not as yet tried the Spiced Italian Ice. It sounds wonderful, does it not? Just another example why it is so much fun reading her blog. I tell everyone about this blog, and most everyone says thanks so much, I am checking often to read more. But I think, hmmmmmmm, so, where are all the comments; why did they not sign in as a follower? Soooooooo, why not just do it, sign up, sign in, and your comments are so welcome, even critical ones only help Morgan improve her blog to make it better for all of us. Live simply, live well.

    Morgan Dickerson said...

    Hi! I agree with you. I would love the commentary of both the followers and readers. I enjoy sharing our lives with the world as we journey through 2011 trying to improve our lives for the better. Sometimes I screw up. Sometimes I come out with something that actually works. The bottom line is that as long as you're in motion, life can only change for the better. So comment away, or stay behind your computer screen-whatever you feel most comfortable with. But please, don't just sit there. Take the journey with me. It's so much less lonely out here in computer-land when I know that you're there too :)

    Morgan Dickerson said...

    Dad- Thanks for the providing the history of Paella! So cool! Knowing the history behind what you are cooking or creating makes it an even more meaningful experience. You are an amazing cook with an intellect that is greatly appreciated.

    Morgan Dickerson said...

    P.S. The closed-mouth fly comment is really funny :)

    Carl said...

    My mouth is closed...but I did have to open it to say that.

    There was an error in this gadget