Friday, June 10, 2011

Button-Up Window Shade

picture from marthastewart.com


This simple shade is quickly and easily sewn and can be raised to two heights to let in varying amounts of light. All you need is French ticking, raw linen, twill tape, and buttons.
Measure inside of window frame, and use dimensions to cut one piece of ticking and one of linen. Place right sides together; pin along sides. Cut three 4-inch lengths of twill tape for loops. Fold ticking and linen outward 1/2 inch along the bottom, and press. Position loops on ticking fold, one at center and at each corner; machine-stitch back and forth to reinforce. Leaving a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew up the shade's two sides. Turn right side out. Draw out loops; sew bottom shut. To finish top opening: Fold linen and ticking inward 1/2 inch; press, and sew closed 1/4 inch from edge.
For curtain-rod channel, make a second seam across top, 1 1/2 inches from the first. Open channel's side seams with a seam ripper. Place two rows of buttons -- three at the top and three halfway down the shade -- so they align with loops, and hand-sew them on.

Even for me, the sewing-newbie, I thought this was pretty easy to make.  For those of you that have been following my blog from the start, then you might remember my January post on my "Becoming Mrs. Clean Part 2".  I had mentioned that I wanted to make some curtains for the laundry room window- at some point.  Well, I've finally gotten a round to it.  I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did.  Remember to have fun with it and don't forget to choose a pattern that fits YOUR fabulous style! 


Photo Gallery

I had purchased a yard of both the linen and the polka dot fabric so that I'd have some extra for making things like sachets,etc. 
It was a late night.  All you late night crafters and sewers out there know what I'm talking about.  There was just no way that I could have done this with the kids still awake.
I cut the fabric to size and added the twill tape on the bottom.  I was totally unaware as to what twill tape was.  Come to find out that it's basically a ribbon that can be purchased alongside the bias tape.  It is used in this project to wrap around the buttons so that the shade stays up. 
Getting ready to sew on the buttons...
I'm done. I didn't time it but I think it took me about 2 hours or so. The front of the window shade is brown linen and then it folds up to show the polka dot fabric.  You can follow the above directions to fit just about any size window.  Just think about all the color combinations you could use! I'm getting excited just thinking about it.  Now I'm considering making more for the other windows in the house.  We'll see.  And note to Ben- I promise not to get too "creative" with the windows ;)  Happy Sewing!


~It's Sew Fun!~




1 comment:

fahim hossain said...

Shades are made from luxurious light filtering, point-bond woven fabrics. The shades are highly energy efficient due to the pockets of air formed by the cellular design. The perfect combination of function and fashion, providing energy efficiency while stylishly covering your windows

Please visit this http://www.getblinds.com/ website here to book an appointment with an in-home consultant or call for more information.

There was an error in this gadget