Sunday, June 12, 2011

Broiled Salmon and Spinach

 Now Playing: Super Bass by Nicki Minaj


picture from marthastewart.com


Recipe from marthastewart.com

Ingredients

  • 4 skinless salmon fillets, (6 ounces each)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 bags (5 ounces each) baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup feta, crumbled (2 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

  1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place salmon on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Broil until opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add as much spinach as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing spinach and adding more to skillet as space becomes available, until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; drain off excess liquid. Stir in feta, pine nuts, and lemon juice. Serve salmon with spinach saute.
I'm semi-vegetarian with an occasional uncontrollable craving for sea-dwelling creatures such as salmon.  Maybe it's because I grew up close to the San Francisco Bay where fresh seafood was brought ashore on a daily, if not hourly basis?  I think all of this somehow seeped into me osmotically. 

To this day, once seafood is served it never fails to conjure up a smile around the table at my house. This particular recipe included feta cheese, but I omitted it because it disgusts me for some reason.  That said, I omitted the Feta. 

Additionally, I included a "Good Thing" from the June issue of Martha Stewart Living.  Jordan and I decided to make the baked Brie and bread as an appetizer.  We highly recommend giving this a try!  I am Brie's number one fan and having it prepared in this manner has made me fall madly in love with the cheese.  Do give this a try!


Photo Gallery
Cheers! Jordan and I opened up a bottle of sparkling lemonade to set the stage for some fun.
First, Jordan started grilling the bread.
And then one of his "fav songs" came on the radio.  We are music fans and so we keep music playing for most of the day, especially while cooking.
He's a dancing chef!
Here's the Brie. 
Here I am.  Jordan wanted to serve me dinner.  How sweet is that?  So I'm waiting...
 Baked Brie and bread
We served the broiled salmon with lemon wedges.  Since we spend most of our day outside, fast dinners are a must.  The salmon was broiled and ready to eat in 7 minutes!
The spinach was topped with extra pine nuts and served as a side dish.
Jordan- Our time together that day was so much fun!  Even though you are almost a teenager (a tween as they say) AND therefore you can occasionally drive me CRAZY, I cherish our time together in the kitchen.  Super job!     
After dinner, we decided to go outside to the garden.  The evening weather was perfect and the sky put on a nice show for us to enjoy.  
Next to where we were sitting were some red poppies.  I wanted to capture the evening dew and the beautiful soon-to-be poppy that was getting ready to pop.  This makes me think of the monster plant from the movie Little Shop of Horrors. It was a spectacular evening that included some peaceful time together in the garden combined with an eventful time in the kitchen. 


~Dinner Was Served~

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget