Sunday, May 29, 2011

Whole-Wheat Linguine with Mushrooms and Asparagus

What's Playing: Rumbling by The Dickerson's Dryer

picture from marthastewart.com

From Martha Stewart Living, May 2011

Ingredients

Serves 4
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 3 leeks (white and pale-green parts only), cut into 2-inch matchsticks and rinsed well
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat linguine
  • 8 asparagus spears, shaved lengthwise into curls (2 cups)
  • 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved

Ingredients

Serves 4
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 3 leeks (white and pale-green parts only), cut into 2-inch matchsticks and rinsed well
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat linguine
  • 8 asparagus spears, shaved lengthwise into curls (2 cups)
  • 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved

Directions

  1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large high-sided skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Add leeks and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Add stock. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
  4. Add pasta, reserved cooking water, and 1 cup asparagus curls to skillet. Toss to coat, and season with pepper.
  5. Divide pasta evenly among 4 plates. Top with remaining cup asparagus; drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Top with cheese.
 
 
We turned this recipe into a yummy lunch.  It was fun making this dish since I've never added stock to my pasta before (I added vegetable stock).  It ended up tasting really good!  The dish seemed to possess the right amount of veggies to pasta and the mushrooms combined with the stock made it feel hearty and nourishing to the soul because of their earthy flavor. 
 
As I began to serve the meal I looked over at Gabriel to see what he was doing.  He can be a rather interesting eater at times.  Gabriel is what one would call a total-body-eater because most of his body is involved in the eating process in one way or another.  Side note: He's three.  That's really all there is to say. 
 
Anyway, he was quickly moving everything around his plate, as if he was running around tidying up the house before guests arrive.  When I asked him what he was doing, he matter-of-factly told me that he was removing all items except for the "noonuls and marooms."  Hey, he didn't toss all of the veggies off his plate and frown at me this time!  And another cool thing was that he didn't freak out at seeing veggies on his plate. Maybe Gabriel is getting used to seeing green stuff on his plate?  Maybe my never ending veggie servings are paying off? 
 
Or maybe not? Until then, I'm going to keep shoveling the green onto all our plates in hopes to one day create fellow "greenines" that will enjoy what our earth has to offer us for nourishment.  You know who I can thank (or blame, depending on who you are asking) for all of this?  My dad.  When I was a kid living in Oakland, California we spent a lot of time together in Berkeley (the city next door).  If I wanted candy or something sweet he would take me to the health food store.  I was able to select ANY fruit or veggie that I wanted.  Looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way.  As the twig is bent, so grows the tree or so they say.  It's a good thing!
 
 
Photo Gallery

The mushrooms are being washed and prepped for the yummy pasta.
I usually recommend various products to you.  This one I will leave up to you.  All I can say is that I'm still searching for another option :) I don't like my noodles sticking together in large clumps.  But, that's just me.
The veggie broth...tasty!
Here is the wonderful asparagus.  I just love this stuff.  I don't bother purchasing asparagus unless it's in season or close to it.  It was so tender and perfect.  Not too long ago I visited Le Cordon Bleu and the chef made us  asparagus soup.  It was delicious!  Come to think of it, I've never had anything with asparagus in it that tasted bad.
I'm getting ready to saute the mushrooms.  I LOVE the smell of sauteed mushrooms!
I wish you could have smelled this.  The leeks and mushrooms smelled fabulous!  An earthy-onion aroma was emanating from the skillet...so good.
All done. 
As you can see, they were ready to eat.
Gabriel is in his own culinary world at the moment.
Sarah is done a few minutes after being served.  She's not super interested. 
Need I say how she feels? 
This is what three can look like at the table. 
Eating is a full sensory experience for Gabriel.
I decided to give it a try. 
Tastes good so far.
This is my "yeah, this is good stuff" face.
Ben really liked the pasta lunch. 3/4 would agree that this was a great lunch. 

~Lunch Was Served~

1 comment:

Jenny Cave said...

Thumbs up...looked really good!

There was an error in this gadget