Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rita's Raspberry Rhubarb Lattice Pie

picture from marthastewart.com



Martha Stewart Living, Volume 124 March 2004
  • Yield Makes one 11-inch pie

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • Rita's Deep-Dish Pate Brisee
  • 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
  • 2 cups raspberries
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar, or more to taste
  • Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of dough for bottom crust. Fit into an 11-inch pie plate. Trim pastry using scissors or a sharp paring knife, and chill. Keep remaining half of dough, which will be used to make the lattice, refrigerated and wrapped in plastic.
  3. Combine rhubarb and raspberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, flour, and lemon juice. Toss gently so as not to break raspberries. Spoon into pie shell, and dot with butter. Refrigerate while preparing lattice top.
  4. In a small bowl, combine egg and heavy cream, whisking lightly; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining piece of dough for lattice, and cut it into 1-inch strips. Weave strips together over filling, and place an extra strip or two along the edge, where the bottom crust joins the lattice top; press this strip with tines of a fork to seal well. Brush lattice and all pastry edges with egg glaze, sprinkle top with sugar, and place pie on a parchment paper's lined baking sheet.
  5. Bake until pastry is golden brown and juices in center of pie are bubbling, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.
You have to make this at home! I kept sneaking back into the kitchen to grab a little crust here, a few raspberries mixed in with the rhubarb there and an extra slice or two.  This is the perfect pie for really any occasion.  Just find a reason to make this pie such as your aunt is coming, you need some comfort food, or you're just plain working on your pate brisee skills.  Just think of a reason and then begin mixing.  At first I thought the raspberries would be too sour mixed with the tart rhubarb.  It ended up being very sweet.  The lattice top is a very charming touch too.
I did notice one thing that made it difficult to follow.  The recipe called for an 11 inch pie plate.  What?  I have not ever seen that before.  I'm no expert at this baking stuff so it might be that.  I'm pretty sure though  that an 11 inch pie plate is hard to find.  For those of you that bake, you know that when you don't have the exact size container for your baked goods that it will throw off the look of whatever it is that you're baking.  It kind of reminds me of Sarah walking around the house in my high heels.  Cute.  But only in the right context. 

Thank you dad for your advice.  I was still able to create a visually pleasing pie by using my rectangular casserole dish instead of the non-existent 11 inch pie plate.  To be correct, it would now be considered a cobbler because of the size and shape of my chosen dish. 

The next morning the cobbler had disappeared.  I don't know what happened to it?  In fact, when Jordan came home from school the next day, he found  the kitchen devoid of the cobbler with not even a single crumb left.  He was very upset that we didn't save him some cobbler.  The poor guy said that he had a rough day at school and all that pulled him through the academic hell was the heavenly cobbler awaiting him at home.  That's okay, Jordan.  I have the recipe handy and I'm sure we'll be making it again soon.  This time I promise to save you an extra slice.


Photo Gallery

The dry ingredients for the pate brisee
So this is why it tasted so good!
The dough is now ready to be flattened and chilled.  I was very careful not to add too much water.  I'm learning that with pate brisee there is a fine line that cannot be crossed when it comes to the water.
The dough is ready to chill.
During the "chilling out" time, Gabriel and Ben decided to journal together.
Meanwhile, I worked on the filling of the cobbler.
After it baked and rested on the counter, Ben could not wait to give it a try.  In fact I was at my gardening co-op when the dessert finished.  He pulled it out of the oven on time and didn't burn it.  Thanks for your help babe! 
Rita's Raspberry Rhubarb Lattice Pie. Martha's sister-in-law makes a delicious dessert that has become our favorite spring indulgence.  I've saved room.  How about you? 
\
That afternoon I took my slice out onto the back patio with me.  I sat on the stairs smiling.  It occurred to me (not for the first time) that I have found my pot of gold.  The rainbow was Earth's way of reminding me.  No externally purchased factors could have contributed to how I felt at this very moment.  I had it all for the price of a homemade slice of pie?!  Really, it is that simple. 

This barn is a constant reminder to me of the beautiful treasure that awaits us in the simple life and what unwavering strength,courage and sustenance lies in a life that's lived close to nature. 

~Just Dessert~


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget