Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oilcloth Crafts: Lunch Bags

What's Playing: ABCD... By Sarah Dickerson


picture from marthastewart.com

Craft project from marthastewart.com

How-To

Cut main piece 29 1/2 by 8 inches and two side panels, each 12 1/4 by 5 inches.
1. Fold long panel, inside out, into U shape with 5-inch bottom.

2. Make 1/4-inch cut at bottom corners of side and middle pieces so bag folds smoothly. Sew-in side panels, leaving 1/4-inch seam allowance.

3. Turn right side out and top-stitch all around, 1/8 inch from edge.

This was a great sewing project for me, the novice sewer.  In under an hour, you can make a cute, reusable lunch bag.  I love oilcloth and the super-cute patterns that you can find in this material.  I made five of these for just under ten dollars!  Isn't that cool? I love bargains.  

Jordan seemed to appreciate the handmade lunch bag too.  I originally started this project to make him a reusable lunch bag but I ended up having enough material leftover for five of them.  Now we all have our very own, reusable lunch bag!



Photo Gallery

After cutting the fabric, just follow the easy three step directions.  I love it when things turn out the way they are supposed to :)  It doesn't happen all the time.  Maybe that's why I can appreciate a good thing when I see it?

Jordan is off to school with his handmade, reusable oilcloth lunch bag.
You can add a contrasting fabric on the sides of the bag for an added whimsical touch.
I'll be taking these bags with me on our next outdoor adventure.  As a mom, I love the fact that the bags wipe clean so easily.  Do give these bags a try and have fun expressing yourself in the wide variety of fabric colors and styles that oilcloth has to offer. 

~Happy Sewing~

1 comment:

Carl said...

Morgan, those bags are so practical and attractive. Now make some totes for grocery shopping.

There was an error in this gadget