Saturday, May 28, 2011

Family-Style Rolled Omelet with Spinach and Cheddar

picture from marthastewart.com




Recipe from marthastewart.com



  • Prep Time 15 minutes






  • Total Time 30 minutes






  • Yield Serves 4



  • Ingredients

    • Olive oil, for pan
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
    • 8 large eggs
    • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    • Coarse salt and ground pepper
    • 2 packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (6 ounces)

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet or jelly-roll pan with oil. Line bottom of pan with parchment, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the two shorter sides. Brush parchment with oil.
    2. In a bowl, whisk together milk and flour. Add eggs, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper; whisk to combine. Pour into pan. Sprinkle spinach over top in an even layer.
    3. Bake until edges of omelet are set, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar; bake until cheese has melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Beginning at one shorter end, lift parchment, and roll up omelet tightly, peeling back parchment as you go. Slice and serve.

    Look good?  Well, it's too bad that I ended up spilling the whole darn thing, isn't it?  It still tasted delicious and I managed to make it into an omelet-casserole instead.

    On a different note, one of the ingredients that the rolled omelet calls for is Dijon mustard.  I'm fairly comfortable with this ingredient.  I know enough about it to have an opinion about the quality of a good Dijon.  However, I don't really know why it's call Dijon.  I'm curious.  Have you ever thought about that before?  Let's explore how this mustard has elevated itself above the more traditional, yellow mustard.  I still have the Grey Poupon commercial stuck in my head.  As a matter of fact, I found a funny picture for your enjoyment. 



      Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?


    So about the Dijon mustard.  Grey Poupon was first made in 1777 in Dijon, France.  The Grey Poupon name comes from the two men (Maurice and Auguste) that made the stuff.  In France (my dream place) there are three main types of mustard: Dijon, Bordeaux and Meaux. Dijon is said to have the strongest flavor of all three mustard varieties.  I wouldn't know this firsthand since I've only tasted the yellow and Dijon mustard before.  Here is a rockin' picture of the land where good, quality mustard originated. 


    Dijon, France

    It turns out that I have quite a few readers in France.  Bonjour!  Maybe one day we will meet?  J'adore France! À bientôt...I hope.

    Photo Gallery

    I really got down with oiling my pan.  I ended up dumping a little out. 
    My organic version of  "Grey Poupon".
    Gabriel and Sarah loved mixing everything together.
    I'm filling up the pan.
    Jordan is awesome!  He's setting the dinner table.
    Next, sprinkle the omelet with spinach.
    And a little cheese.
    Ben is hungry and happily awaiting dinner.
    Here it is!  Now, all I have to do is remove it from the pan and roll. Crossing my fingers...
    Everyone is waiting on me....better hurry!
    Oh boy!  I think I can do this.
    Oh no!!
    Splat.  It wasn't cooked all the way through :/
    Back into the pan it goes.  Casserole it is.
    Jordan tries to pass the time by capturing pictures of the kids from funny angles.  Thanks, Jordan!
    Peekaboo!
    So here it is. 
    It was a fun dinner nonetheless :)
    Four hungry people are about to enjoy dinner...even if it is "Morgan-Style".  ;)  It tasted great, FYI.  Well, to me anyway.  I guess spinach is not a big hit with the kiddos.

    ~Dinner Was Served~



    No comments:

    There was an error in this gadget