Wednesday, March 30, 2011

~Greek Stuffed Peppers~

picture from marthastewart.com



Ingredients

  • 4 large bell peppers
  • 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup crumbled feta (4 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup couscous
  • 4 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions

  1. Slice a very thin layer from the base of each bell pepper so they sit flat. Slice off tops just below stem. Discard stems; chop tops, and place in a medium bowl. Remove ribs and seeds from peppers.
  2. To bowl, add beans, feta, couscous, scallion whites, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Stuff peppers with bean mixture; place upright in slow cooker. Cover; cook on high, 4 hours.
  3. Sprinkle peppers with scallion greens; serve with lemon wedges.

Cook's Note

To make in the oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In step 2, use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid; add 1 cup water. Cover; bake until peppers are tender, about 1 hour. Proceed with step 3.


I didn't like the taste of the Greek stuffed peppers at all.  The presentation was beautiful- I mean, who wouldn't love seeing a vibrant yellow pepper stuffed with couscous?  The flavor was lacking though and I think it could could have used more spice. 

Nobody ate my dinner!  Well, I was the only one to eat a few bites of the pepper, but that was it.  Everyone just looked at me like, "you're kidding?"  I looked back at them like, "Nope, I'm totally serious kids".  If you make these, I suggest adding a lot of pepper and don't be afraid to add some of your favorite spices to the mix.  This recipe is meant to be modified...trust me.  You will enjoy the stuffed peppers as long as you make it your own.  But that's with anything, isn't it?

Photo Gallery

 The yellow bell peppers...sweet!
Here is the pepper.  It's cleaned and ready to become a stuffed pepper.  The bottoms of the peppers are very carefully sliced to prevent them from wobbling.
Leave it to me to take it too far...I cut a gaping hole in the bottom of the pepper . I decided to "patch the peppers" with a small handful of lettuce on the bottom.  FYI it worked.
Here is the "patch".
The diced pepper tops.
Green onions...I just love them.
I'm "epicurious" about everything...including this.  Will my green onions continue to grow if I replant the roots?  Hmmm...let's find out.  I will post my the results here in the comments section once I find out.    
The stuffing ingredients.  Simply mix and scoop.
Scooping. 
The Greek stuffed peppers are now in the slow cooker.  Next, just flip the switch and come back in four hours.  Wow, I need to start using my slow cooker more often.  Not only does this make the house smell really, really good but it's easy too.
The Greek stuffed pepper...
Nobody ate the dinner, but that didn't mean that the wine wasn't good!  Until next time...LIVE well!

~Dinner Was Served~


2 comments:

Carl said...

Morgan, there is one rule in cooking that I follow most times: Always taste for seasoning adjustment before finishing the cooking. These bell peppers could benefit from more oregano and/or garlic, more of the feta cheese, even some added onions, and yes, more salt and pepper.

The Green Mama said...

Status update on green onion- they are growing! The tops are about an inch or so long. We'll see if the taste is as good though. Kinda neat that you can re plant...money savers are always a good thing!

There was an error in this gadget