Tuesday, February 8, 2011

*Nuts for Peanut Butter?*

Peanut Butter

 


Below is a  differnt kind of peanut...
The first ever Peanuts comic strip.




The peanut, Arachis hypogaea, is a delicious legume that is produced primarily in China. Known by many names, including goobers and ground nuts, this crunchy morsel is not only eaten, but is used in textile materials, medicines and even makeup! Obviously very versatile, I think a peanuts best purpose is in a jar, awaiting its debut in the mixing bowl.

Peanut butter has always tasted good to me.  I like peanut butter on the classic PB&J, as well as in cookies. Even Jordan, Gabriel and Sarah love peanut butter.  They eat a lot of peanut butter-especially with apples.  Gabriel and Sarah will even request what we call a peanut-butter-lolly.  This silly idea came to me one afternoon when we were out of bread.  I simply swirled the spoon inside of the peanut butter jar and gave it to them, as-is.  They loved it! In our house, this snack has become very popular. 

Between the sandwiches, apples and lollies, we go through a jar of peanut butter in 2-3 days.  Can you believe that means we are paying close to $20 per week in PB?!  It occurred to me yesterday, why not make our own?  For $1.50 per pound at Whole Food's, I bought enough to make our very own jar.  That $1.50 made a whole jar of peanut butter.  Making my own peanut butter is a monthly savings of close to $57! Peanut butter sandwiches anyone?  It's all you can eat at my house!

Photo Gallery/Commentary

I know that I've seen a homemade peanut butter recipe in Martha Stewart Living.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find it anywhere!  Please check her website for exact directions.  Below is my own version.

3 cups whole peanuts (I prefer roasted).

Add the 3 cups of peanuts to the food processor.  Mix until desired texture is reached.

A little dry?  That's okay.  Add oil- about a tablespoon or so.
I added peanut oil...it just made the most sense to add this oil as opposed to vegetable or canola. 
Beautiful peanut butter...what more can I say? It really is that easy. 

As I was doing this, I had this idea about flavored peanut butters.  While at Raley's tonight (getting more coffee), I decided to find out what varieties of peanut butter they carry. Check out the prices...
This is the brand of peanut butter we buy.
Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate Macadamia are two flavored peanut butters Raley's carries.  But where are other the other flavors?

In honor of national peanut month(next month), I've compiled a gourmet list of peanut butters.  All the blends can be made at home.   Like Bubba from Forest Gump, I can rattle off a long list of ideas for peanut butter flavors.  *Clearing throat* 

Coconut flakes and peanut butter

Cinnamon peanut butter

Cinnamon raisin peanut butter

Vanilla cake flavored peanut butter

Vanilla infused peanut butter

Caramel peanut butter

chocolate mandarin orange flavored peanut butter

Kahlua favored peanut butter

McIntosh apple flavored peanut butter

Red wine and dark chocolate flavored peanut butter

Honey and cinnamon flavored peanut butter

Cinnamon tangerine peanut butter

Cherry-chunk peanut butter

Chocolate mint peanut butter

Brown sugar peanut butter

Ginger and molasses peanut butter

And that's about it.  Make any of these however you desire.  Simply mix to taste. Finally, indulge in this unusual, sensuous blend of both worlds in your own, unique way.

How do you like to eat your peanut butter? 


*Hello to my readers in South Korea. Please feel free to join the blog!  I'd love to hear from you.*

2 comments:

Jenny Cave said...

Now if you could just figure out how to grow an acre or two of peanuts you'd have it made! I like what you wrote about your savings, it's great when you see those savings piling up and, putting it that way gives people incentive to consider making their own. Every dollar you save on your food budget gives you a dollar more to spend during your next family vacation!!! The fact that you have access to your own honey saves you on those peanut butter and honey sandwiches that Jordan loves so much! Great 'nutty' article, Morgan!

Carl said...

I love it!
We all have been so scammed...just grind peanuts and peanut oil in a blender or food processor and you can get creamy or chunky. And all for or a pittance just by doing that yourself. I am indeed going there...peanut butter freedom!

Thanks for the FYI Morgan. As always, you have something useful and good to share with others reading your wonderful blog.

There was an error in this gadget