Tuesday, February 15, 2011

~Knitted Hat~

~Knitted Hat~

courtesy of marthastewart.com


Our Hat Pattern

Finished size: 20-inch circumference (adult medium); gauge: 8 stitches and 12 rows in stockinette = 4 inches.
You will need: U.S. size 15 needles, 1 skein chunky wool in red, 1 skein mohair in beige.
To knit hat: Cast on 40 stitches, working with both yarns together. Knit 2 rows. Work in stockinette (knit 1 row, purl the next; repeat) for 6 inches. Next row: Knit 3, knit 2 together (see "Decreasing" below). Next row: Purl. Next row: Knit 2, knit 2 together. Next row: Purl. Next row: Knit 1, knit 2 together. Next row: Purl. Bind off. Snip yarn, leaving 8-inch tail. Thread tail through yarn needle, and pass needle through bind-off stitches and tighten; sew up seam as shown below. We used contrasting yarn to make the seaming visible, but you should use the same yarn you knit with. Begin at the top, using a yarn needle to pick up the horizontal bar between the first and second stitches. Cross to the other side and pick up corresponding bar. Continue from side to side until finished.
Decreasing
There are many ways to decrease, but this is the easiest. The method is the same as the knit stitch, except two stitches are knit at the same time.
1. Insert right needle upward and into two stitches on left needle, entering lower stitch first, then upper one.
2. Wrap yarn behind right needle and then forward between the needles, as when knitting.
3. Tip right needle downward, catching wrapped piece and drawing it down through the two loops on left needle. Use right needle to slide this loop upward and off left needle. You have now decreased one stitch.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Knit Hat - Martha Stewart Crafts


Something happens within my core existence every time that I craft something with my own two hands.  In some sort of deep, almost primal sort-of-way, I feel a deeper connection to the receiver of my handmade gifts.  While knitting the hat for my daughter, Sarah, it felt as if my mitochondrial DNA and I were having a conversation about clothing our daughters.  Of course that's not possible, but the feeling was there nonetheless.

It is important to remember that sustenance not only comes from the things that we eat, but also from what is produced by our own two hands.  I hope this blog inspires you to craft and create, regardless of your present skill level.  As a novice knitter, I was surprised that I could knit something other than a scarf.  I wasn't too sure if my knitting skills would permit me to journey outside of rectangleland.  Come to find out, this is basically a scarf in disguise.  Once finished, the sides are sewn together to make the hat.   

Trust me, if I was able to do this, I promise you that anyone else out there (with the desire to knit), can do the same.  This project took me way less time to finish than the fingerless mittens.  I'd say it took me about 2-3 hours max with my slow stitches. Have fun!
Photo Gallery

My starting materials...although I ended up choosing a cream yarn instead of maroon( very long story...see my green mama bird blog for the explanation).  The needles used for my hat were size ten, a little smaller than called for. It ended up being a perfect hat for Sarah Elizabeth!

Stitching it up.
 Here she is! 
We decided to try the hat on Harry, our library troll. 

~Happy Knitting~


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget