Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kids' Crafts- Sponge Ball

picture from marthastewart.com

Sponge Ball How-To

You will need three 1/2-by-2 3/4-by-4 1/4-inch sponges. Use new sponges, and be sure not to wet them ahead of time; they are easier to cut straight out of the package. With a pen and a ruler, make five lines lengthwise on a sponge, each 1/2 inch apart. Use scissors to cut the sponge, using the lines as a guide, into six rods. Repeat with the other two sponges. Lay strips on top of each other in three layers, five to six to a layer. Cinch them across the middle with a piece of string; knot it tightly. Fluff pieces out into a ball.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Sponge Ball - Martha Stewart Crafts

I'm well aware of the fact that it is still chilly outdoors, but I'm ready for some sun!  The kids are more than ready too.  A few years ago, I rented a Martha DVD from my public library that showcased summer crafts and summer cooking.  One craft in particular has stayed with me in my "mental likes" list, the sponge ball!  This is such a great toy for children because it can be used outside in the heat of the summer as a mock water balloon (wonderfully harmless when thrown), or inside of the house in the bathtub.  Given the time of year that we're in, I opted for the second choice, the tub. In particular, I think it's the beautiful, vibrant colors that make this craft especially fun for kids- and me too (shhh).  If your children are to small to measure and cut, then simply prepare the craft yourself, and give them the finished product to enjoy. I would approximate the construction time at around 5 minutes per sponge ball. 

Photo Gallery

I opted for colorful sponges to make it more interesting.
Make 5  1/2'' marks on each sponge.  The kids were at my ankles climbing on me while I was trying to measure.  As you can see, it does not have to be precise. 
Here are three cut and ready sponges.
Stack them five long and in three layers
Once the sponges are stacked as in above picture, take twine and cinch the middle.  This is the resulting shape.
On her own, Sarah grabbed her shades from her purse.  I thought this was a perfect photo op.  Sarah gives her seal of approval on this craft project. 
Have fun! 

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget