Thursday, January 6, 2011

What's For Dinner? Shrimp Scampi!

 Menu for Broiled Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp Scampi
Picture from Martha's website
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 20 minutes

Serves 4
  • 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on, patted dry
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions

  1. Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place shrimp on a large broilerproof rimmed baking sheet.
  2. Sprinkle with oil and garlic, and season generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Arrange shrimp in a single layer.
  3. Broil until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley; toss to combine. Serve immediately; garnish with lemon wedges.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Broiled Shrimp Scampi - Martha Stewart Recipes



Delicious and easy to make, this dinner took less time to prepare than originally claimed.  It’s about time!  On quite a few occasions the directions have told me that it would take less than an hour to make a “more involved dinner”.  Isn’t that wonderful?  Well, it took me far, far longer than that.  Often, a few unexpected situations creep into the kitchen and bam!  The time is doubled.   Sometimes, it’s just that I get to a certain point in a recipe where I just stall out, like a younger me learning to drive a stick shift (you should have been there!).

 It is not unusual for me to take a thousand breaks while cooking dinner.  At about or so you can find me running around chasing the kids, wiping up messes and begging and pleading for them to “help me” make dinner.  Thankfully, not every day is like that.  Just most of them, anyway.  However, I wouldn’t trade their mischievousness and zest for life for anything in the world.  Part of my everyday adventure is simply just living with them.  I know quite a few of you mamas out there are smiling right about now because we know the challenges faced during dinner preparation.  At the peak of my dinner prep craziness, I just start laughing and then I turn up the radio.  Dancing while doing this is required.  If the kids get involved, then it’s even better.  Try it, I’m not kidding.

Typically an Italian-American dish, Scampi is often cooked in butter or white wine.  Using neither in this recipe, the kids did not notice as they pulled tail after tail off while squealing for more.  I think Jordan, Gabriel and Sarah would tell you to make some for your family (*smile*). 



Since I can't seem to kick my seafood habit, this is the one type of meat that I cannot stop eating.  Or, should I say won't.  Two side dishes were served along side the Shrimp Scampi.  One dish was a nutty brown rice that took two minutes to cook in the microwave.  Seeds of Change makes this mix and you can find it in the natural food section of your local grocery store.  I support Seeds of Change because of their eco-friendly philosophy, and for their humanitarian beliefs in agriculture. 



Does anyone else struggle with making sure those greens make a consistent debut sur la table?  I know we do.  The younger kids like some greens, but they are still acquiring a taste for them.  Until then, I just keep setting them out like a church offering basket that keeps getting passed around.  Often times my salad mixes are a potpourri of whatever we have grown, or brought back from the store.  The below picture is of Gabriel and Sarah pulling an heirloom beet from the earth.  Somehow it found its way into our salad bowl.  To my amazement, the kids actually took a few bites of the salad.    An all-hands-on-deck approach to cooking is one requirement for enjoying a happy and healthy family meal together. 







3 comments:

Carl said...

I enjoyed the scampi post, very much. I especially like your explaining the right cooking technique for each step in the recipe.

Carl said...

Hint, hint.

Carl said...

Morgan,

This blog is the perfect place for other home cooks to visit often. They can learn from your adventures with Martha Stewart's teaching, and be entertained at the same time!

Other home cooks wanting to partake of "the good life for the rest of us" will have found a home here that they can relate to.

The "let's see if I can do what Martha does" is the perfect approach. And doing it with two toddlers, a pre-teen, a husband, a dog, and an Angora rabbit involved is more "reality" than most homes now have.

I can picture you making a dish involving several steps, requiring this technique or that, requiring a hard-to-find ingredient or substitution, and then eventually finding success or sometimes not. Now that is REALITY.

You persist. You suck it up. You try again. Never giving up. You know that anyone can do fine cooking with the right recipe, the right techniques, the right cookware and equipment, and fresh, quality ingredients. But above all it requires the love of good food, and the love of presenting a well made meal to the family you love.

Yet, you already know this. As you set sail on this year-long culinary voyage, let me be among the first to wish you well, and hope not too many souffles fall, that your sautes are not singe, and that your roast butterflied, herbed chicken with truffles melts in your mouth.

Bon Voyage

There was an error in this gadget