Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's for Dinner? *Bean-and-Veggie Sliders*

What's for Dinner?

BEAN-AND-VEGGIE SLIDERS


$- Dinner cost $10 for 12 burgers.  Not bad at all.

Prep:20 minutes
Total: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

Makes 12

2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 cup steamed jasmine or basmati rice
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup shredded broccoli
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1/2 recipe flavor base (see below)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
12 small whole wheat rolls,split
garnishes: red onion, mango, lettuce, cilantro, chili mayo (see below)

Flavor base-
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion,chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 fresh chili, chopped
coarse salt

Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, chili, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and cook until garlic and onions are soft, about 5 min. Add to beans.

For the Chili Mayonnaise-

Stir together 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili paste (such as sambal oelek) and a dash of toasted-sesame oil).

Read more at Marthastewart.com:Bean-and-Veggie Sliders-Martha Stewart Recipes


 I love lazy Sundays at my little micro-farm. I rarely have such a day, but I long for them nonetheless. A lazy Sunday is more of a state of mind, I think.  Around here, Sundays are a day of rest, relaxation, family time, good food and maybe a little work outside.  Can you believe that it's already time to plant lettuce, radish and spinach? 


This year, I have added anticipation about planting because I've been asked to lead the gardening co op at at Veera Yoga Studio. Typically, I only give workshops on yogic eating.  Now, I've been asked to branch out, literally and figuratively.  Pioneering into unknown territory, a yoga studio is attempting to make a community around not not just the idea of healthy eating, but actually growing it.  Yes, a gardening co op is about to take place at a yoga studio. Everyone involved will grow their own fresh, organic fruits and veggies while having the opportunity to share.  This is all free! What a great community we have at Veera Yoga. 

I know that Martha has a phenomenal organic farm. Her unparalleled wisdom and gardening charisma has rubbed off on me(*fingers crossed*). Through the years, when I was able to watch the show on TV, I was in awe every time her farm was featured on the show. She always has something interesting going on there. Outdoor segments of the show often provide useful info about topics ranging from bird seed to bulb planting.  The show is always fun and informative.


Like Martha, I enjoy growing fresh veggies on my little plot of paradise. Here at Paradise Basin (I named this place myself while watching a sherbet-orange sunrise) lettuce is sprouting up everywhere. It shoots up and unfolds beautiful leaves in the most random places. Since my farm is organic, often lettuce-squatting happens. I am always fascinated to see the burnt red, and deep purple leaves (heirloom varieties) growing from a rough opening in a tree, or in between craggy rocks. Official rows have been planted, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the strong individuals that have somehow managed to take root in odd locations.

After having coffee with my friend, attending yoga at Veera Yoga, and planting two patches chock-full of lettuce and peas, I was ready for dinner. Ben and the kids were ready too.

Cooking Commentary

Thumbs up to the bean-and-veggie sliders.  For some reason, probably because of the fact that I'm a recent veggie-convert, I think the concept of a vegetarian burger is genius. The burgers had a definite veggie flavor, however, the beans and rice kept the flavor from tasting too green. The texture was perfect and the flavor had a pleasing blend of spices and vegetables.


For moms trying to get their kids to eat veggies, this is a wonderful way of disguising produce and other healthy stuff. Carefully mixed into a patty, who knows what you could hide in there! Visions of whole buckets of salads being dumped into the mix are looming around inside my brain. Take note Jamie Oliver. It's all about the veggie patties.

Photo Gallery

Sarah Elizabeth had a very busy time outside.  Now, she's ready for a carrot snack.
The veggie sliders are frying.  Don't they look like real burgers?

Below is the mix of veggies used to make the veggie sliders.  I was short the extra cup of kidney beans, so I used a can of cannellini beans.  I love the flexibility in Martha's recipes.  I can always make do with what I have.  Look at all that good-for-you-stuff in there!

I used basmati rice purchased in the bulk foods section of the grocery store.
Here is the bean and rice mix.  They were pulsed in my food processor to create the burger-like texture.

Add the veggies to the beans and rice and mix.  This is done the same way that you would mix ground round to make your meat patty.

The bean-and-veggie sliders are ready to be served.  On the side, you can offer extras for people to choose from.  We offered items such as lettuce and onion.  We are attempting to eat seasonally, when we can.  The flower garnish is a Calendula flower from our garden. 

When it came down to it, Gabriel was more interested in his contraption than
eating his dinner.

~Dinner Was Served~

1 comment:

Carl said...

Fantastic veggie burgers! Being vegans, Jenny and I have been buying veggie burgers at Whole Foods...this is a less expensive alternative, and you can vary things according to taste.

This recipe is just what we were looking for. Not having any Calendula flowers handy means we cannot duplicate your beautiful garnish presentation.

Your blogs always have much to teach. They are invariably fun, even funny at times. With the "reality" component you blend in, such as substituting ingredients, or using a certain technique, is always a help, but it also makes the whole thing credible.

Keep it up Green Mama blogster.

There was an error in this gadget