Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Craft Project: Stylish Fingerless Mittens

 Fingerless Mittens      Picture From Martha's Website


Even before Hermione Granger was spotted wearing them, I have been longing for fingerless mittens.  I forget what it's called... sychronistic events, I think? You know, when you keep finding the same thing over and over but in different places. Even just last week, my dad's girlfriend came over to my house sporting her freshly crocheted pair.  After all of these sightings, I finally decided to sit down and knit myself a pair. 

Until now, knitting and I have never genuinely hit it off. I should mention that I have been trying to knit myself a scarf for awhile now, but for some reason I lose interest. I must have at least five scarves in my closet (several of which my dad's girlfriend crocheted for me. Thanks, Jenny!).  Maybe that's why? Too much of the same thing. Fingerless gloves, however, had a novel appeal to me.  As a result,  I've sought after them.

The best way to describe my previous relationship with knitting is like this. It's kind of like hearing about another person from a friend.  You may know of each other, but you do not know each other. Not until the last few years have I developed a longing to knit.  Having Sarah Elizabeth gives me a reason to play dress up.  Even now as I write this, dreams of knitting scarves, headbands and mittens float around me in my mind's eye. 

I am not an experienced knitter. Did someone in a nursing home sit with me and patiently teach me how to knit one, purl one?  Or better yet, did my rosy cheeked, crafty grandmother (I wish I had one!) teach me?  Nope. 

Partially because of my star sign and partially because I am foolishly relentless, I was going to complete this knitting project! Martha's directions listed below are great.  Trust me, If they weren't, I'd never have finished this project.  I'm still easily confused while reading knitting directions.  On the contrary, these directions were really easy. If you feel like you need additional help, check out you tube. Watching someone knit when you are first learning is essential. 

KEY POINT:  In step 5 when you are removing the scrap yarn for the thumb opening, be really, really careful!  I was not and it got a little intense.

The rest of step 5 and 6 was confusing.  So, I just cut off the yarn, did a couple knots (really, really, really tightly) and said screw it all.   It worked and now, after 5.5 hours I have one, right hand fingerless mitten.  You know, after thinking about it, Michael only wore one white glove, right?

The message here is this: Give this project your best shot and follow the directions to the best of your ability. If that's followed, then you too can have a fingerless mitten.  Perfection need not apply.  This is my kind of project. 


  Here is my fingerless mitten. 


Step 1

With double-pointed needles, cast on 39 stitches. Divide stitches among 3 double-pointed needles, and join in a round (see How to Knit in the Round).
Step 2

Rounds 1 through 57: Knit.


Read more at Wholeliving.com: Fingerless Mittens - Martha Stewart Crafts
 
 
 
View Image
Step 3

Round 58: Using scrap yarn as your working yarn, knit 7 stitches off the beginning of your next needle. Now slip these stitches back onto the needle they came from. With your main yarn, knit across the scrap-yarn stitches as well as the rest of the stitches on that needle.
Step 4

Rounds 59 through 83: Knit with main yarn. Bind off loosely.


Read more at Wholeliving.com: Fingerless Mittens - Martha Stewart Crafts
 
View Image
Step 5

Make thumb opening: Carefully remove the scrap yarn. As you do so a hole will form with a series of loops above and below it. Pass 1 empty double pointed needle through the top 7 loops and another through the bottom 7 loops. With a third needle and a new piece of yarn knit the 7 stitches on the bottom row, pick up and knit 2 loops at end of thumb opening. Now knit the 7 stitches on the top row, Pick up and knit 2 loops at opposite end of thumb opening.
Step 6

Divide the 18 stitches among 3 needles and knit 14 rows. Bind off loosely.
Step 7

Repeat process to make second mitten.

If making striped mittens, start thumbhole on second mitten with last 7 stitches on the third needle instead of the first 7 stitches on the first needle of the first mitten.


Read more at Wholeliving.com: Fingerless Mittens - Martha Stewart Crafts

4 comments:

Jenny Cave said...

Good job, Morgan!!! Remember that knitting is far, far more time consuming than crocheting. I could whip out a pair in about an hour and a half if I didn't have to KNIT the darn cuffs...but the knitting part really slows the project down.
I think that knitting is for the very, very patient...but I've always liked the results, particularly when you need ribbing that expands (k2, p2, etc.) If you run into problems like the thumb hole, there are SUPER instruction videos on Youtube!
I think I am going to add some elastic to my latest design, though, after you wear them for a while, they stretch out of shape and get all floppy.
Someone wants me to do some sock hats (knitted, not crocheted ...*sighs*) I did so many of those some thirty years ago that I hated the THOUGHT of a sock hat, but perhaps enough time has passed that I can embrace them again.
All the cashiers want the fingerless gloves because they can wear them and still type on the cash registers, they really ARE a clever idea!!! I actually like combining knitting and crocheting, it opens up design possibilities and the sky's the limit!
Have fun with your next project!! Oh, and, by the way, make yourself sit down and finish the other hand...that is a really cute glove just crying out for its mate!

Carl said...

I like the knuckle-protector part, and the colors and texture

The Green Mama said...

Thanks! It was fun making it. Now, If only it can find its mate. ;)

The Green Mama said...

I can't wait for the day when I go to Whole Foods and spot every cashier wearing the gloves. That would be a fun!

Let me know how the sock hat goes. Sounds like it's going to be cute. Have a great day, my fellow thread lover.

There was an error in this gadget