Thursday, January 13, 2011

*Cookie of the Month: A Sweet Deal * featuring Jordan Smith



Cookie of the Month: A Sweet Deal

Anytime Oatmeal Cookies
Jan. 2011 issue

Active Time15min
Total Time 50min
Makes about 4 dozen
*You can find this cookie recipe in this months Martha Stewart Living magazine on page 160*

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup golden raisins

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon salt into a bowl.  Beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy.  Mix in egg and vanilla, then flour mixture.  Mix in oats, then raisins.
  2. Using a 1 ¼-inch ice cream scoop (or 1 tablespoon), drop dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing each scoop about 2 inches apart.  Bake until edges are golden, about 14 minutes.  Let cookies cool on a wire rack. 
      Storage cookies can be stored at room temperature for 1 week. 

 Jordan Smith, my twelve year old son, loves cooking.  Although he won’t directly admit it when asked, cooking is a passionate art to Jordan.  In my minds eye I can see him, a whopping 40 lbs and in third grade, skipping around my tiny apartment kitchen happily making a dessert for our family. Making me promise not to look until he was done, he placed before me a plated banana (cut at an angle, resembling a jagged glacier) drizzled beautifully with chocolate syrup. It was at this moment that I knew my son had an innate sense of food style.  He has always craved tasty, beautiful and artistically hand crafted food. 

For the next few months, Jordan will be the writer of the Cookie of the Month part of my blog.  The cookie of the month is from a monthly article that is featured inside of Martha Stewart Living magazine. Jordan is looking forward to sharing his passion and memoirs in the kitchen with you.  Sweet!


I think my experience was interesting, especially the way the energy was flowing in the room.

In the kitchen, I felt like Martin Luther King Jr; making a speech to hundreds of people.  I felt this way because even though I was just reading the directions to myself, my little brother Gabriel, (my best friend)was fascinated by watching me bake.





My fingers were getting tired from sifting all of the dry ingredients.



As I watched the mixer go round and round. It reminded me of a flip book because everything was changing so quickly in the bowl.



As I cracked the egg, it reminded me of banging down on one of those chocolate oranges that you get in those packages (the kind that crack when you bang them).



I thought Gabriel was really intrigued by the whole egg deal.  He seemed like he was in his own world.



As I added the raisins and oatmeal to the cookie dough, it was like adding a new color in a bouquet.

When I scooped out the tiny pieces of cookie dough and put them onto the tray, I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on those cookies!



Waiting...


Then, fourteen minutes later, I heard the siren of unbearable joy!  With gloves already on, I ran to the oven and opened the door.  It felt like I was opening the door to the sun as I was blasted from the heat.

As soon as the cookies came out, I let them cool for about ten seconds on the cookie rack.  I couldn’t wait so I reached out and grabbed the freshly warmed, baked oatmeal raisin cookie.  When I tasted it, it felt like I was in a different world.  It was just like blast of raisin rain in my mouth. 

The Cookie Connection:

                                                 Here I am gearing up to write this...
This is a way to have fun and connect with family by having a piece of paper in front of everyone with simple directions and proportions.  That’s all I have to say for tonight folks.  There are also moods in food.  Life is made up of different kinds of ingredients like 1 ½ cups of love and different stuff. 







8 comments:

Carl said...

Wow! Wonderful, and entertaining too. You really like baking. You write very well as well. The cookies look so good. You know, you are a very, very mature 12 year old. Keep up the good work!

Jenny Cave said...

Love the picture of you waiting, wish I looked that good when I'm 'waiting'...great writing Jordan, I'm looking forward to reading your input every month! Cooking skills are always a good thing to have. You'll be a popular friend if you can whip up cookies during study group in high school or while the 'team' is waiting for your next recipe to be tasted.

The Green Mama said...

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to making more stuff next month too.

Sincerely,

Jordan

The Green Mama said...

Also guys, I have another batch in the oven right now. Only four minutes left.

Sincerely,

Jordan

Jenny Cave said...

lol...also, I love the picture of you 'gearing up'...Jordan, you can always make me smile. Never, never, never change, not for anybody, not for anything in the world!!!!

The Green Mama said...

Go Jor!

angela said...

Great blog! Creative and fun, Jordan! I could smell that wonderful aroma alll the way over here in Ohio. Keep up the fantastic work!

The Green Mama said...

Hi Angela! Thanks for the comment. I am making some more cookies right now. They are in the refrigerator right now so be ready to enjoy and read some more! but dont give me all the credit becuase my mom really puts hard work and dedicasion into this after all she tought me.

sincerely,
J. Smith

There was an error in this gadget